Between 1998 and 2009, I was a journalist on the BBC News website.
I worked across a range of roles on the site’s entertainment section (since renamed “entertainment and arts”). As a senior journalist, I mainly worked as part of a team of day editors, sub-editing, reporting and feature writing, as well as taking charge of breaking news stories including John Peel’s death.
I co-ordinated the site’s coverage of Glastonbury and other music festivals, as well as awards ceremonies including the Brits and the Grammys, and commissioned pieces for special features such as the 10th anniversary of Britpop and ITV’s 50th anniversary.
I spent six months working on the launch team for 60seconds – the short news bulletins that ran on BBC3 – and managed to chalk up little bit of history: starting the first BBC News live blog, to cover the Live 8 concerts in 2005. Our sport colleagues had done it for Liverpool’s Champions League win a few weeks before, so we thought we’d borrow the idea.
Working at the BBC was a huge privilege and taught me a hell of a lot. However, I got itchy feet after 10 years, so took voluntary redundancy in 2009 to take a break and explore other opportunities.
Some of my bylined pieces – some of these pre-SEO headlines are showing their age a bit!
- Rankin eyes refugee camp return – interview with the photographer about his charity work (October 2008)
- Mathis swings for success – a chat with the veteran singer (March 2008)
- Confident Blunt eyes his comeback – talking to crooner James (September 2007)
- Talking Shop: Annie Nightingale – chat with long-serving DJ (March 2007)
- My night with Barry White – recalling an interview with the Walrus of Love (July 2003)
- Remembering Christopher with smiles – the memorial service for late TV presenter Christopher Price (May 2002)
- Michael Jackson’s drizzly reception – the singer’s appearance at the Oxford Union (March 2001)
- Elvis alive and well in Notting Hill – interview with Elvis Costello (March 2001)
- Bond at a premium – a trip to a 007 auction (February 2001)
- Aiming to be a model singer – remember Caprice? (August 1999)